Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Project Spotlight: Green at Heart

Hi there! Ready for the second installation of my pattern spotlight series?

I have to admit upfront that this project had been sitting on my needles for over a year. I made major changes to the original pattern and had to reference two separate patterns which was very consuming. It was completely worth the effort though and I'm so happy that I finally finished this project!

Dates: September 22, 2012- April 5, 2014

Pattern: "Green at Heart" by Jean Moss, found in Sweet Shawlettes

I am loving this cowl! The project is very quick (if you actually stay focused on it) and when completed, this cowl adds just the right amount of warmth without all the fuss of wearing a scarf. The color, texture, and construction of this piece make it the ideal accessory for a chilly autumn day. I am very pleased with how this project turned out with the perfect combination of stitches, yarn, and buttons.

This is a great project if you are looking for a challenge because the stitches themselves require focus, but the shaping isn't complicated (since it's just a rectangle) and it's not a very large project.



Deviations From Pattern: I switched the cable pattern in the book out for the “twisted and crossed cable” from the Harmony Guides: Cables and Arans book. 

I think the cowl looks better with this twisted aran pattern that matches great with my triquetra buttons. All aspects of this piece combined create a very Celtic look for this accessory that I love.
Yarn: Renew by Rowan (93% Recycled Wool, 7% Polyamide)

I used the same yarn that the pattern called for, and even in the same color. Honestly, I think the tweed texture of the yarn and the olive color is what made me fall in love with the pattern. The stitches aren't completely visible in this textured yarn, but the subtlety of the cable and lace border actually look very appealing. Plus, this yarn is made from recycled fibers making it a great choice for those of us who are "green at heart."

Rowan is a yarn company that never disappoints with their luxurious fiber usage and gorgeous textures. It is a high-end company, so keep that in mind when designing your budget for this project.

Where I Bought the Yarn: Filati Fine Yarns in Roseville, CA

I bought this yarn on one of my many visits to Filati during their retirement sale. It was very sad to see this business close it's doors after not being able to find someone to purchase it. This store had an incredible variety of yarns and a helpful staff. I also bought the triquetra buttons at this store, since they had an impressive stock of decorative buttons. I can assure you that Filati is a store that has been missed.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment