Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Project Spotlight: Oscilloscope Shawl

For the last project in my project spotlight series, I decided to give a shout out to the first shawl I ever knit for myself. This was a life altering project because I can't seem to bring myself to knit anything other shawls since I finished this one! I will completely point the blame at this shawl for me not finishing several projects (including my Hermione Hearts Ron and Green at Heart) for an extended period of time. That is my excuse, at least, because I have not been able to stop obsessively knitting shawls and no other projects have had a chance to be completed. I have finished 7-8 shawls for myself in the past year that are now sitting in a "to be blocked" pile. Maybe it's an obsession, but shawls actually are a great accessory and they're fun to make! So expect to see some more shawls in the future because I have plenty for show and tell!

Dates: April 15, 2012- April 23, 2012

Pattern: Oscilloscope Shawl by Kate Gagnon Osbourne, from Knit Scene Fall 2010

This is a great pattern- mostly because it looks much more complicated than it is, but it still is complex enough to keep your attention. I must say that Knit Scene is my favorite knitting magazine, because it never fails to provide modern and unique projects. Even looking back at this outdated volume, the patterns are still appealing because they fit into the trends at the time but aren't terribly avant garde.

This would be a great project for someone newer to lace knitting, because the eyelet pattern and construction of the shawl are both fairly simple. The Oscilloscope Shawl is also a great quick project for more advanced knitters that are looking for more bang for their effort.

Yarn: Cascade Yarns Dolche (55% Alpaca, 23% Silk, 22% Wool)

When I first got this yarn it didn't seem very soft, but it softened considerably after knitting it and blocking the final piece. The softness of the silk and dreamy alpaca combined with the warmth of the wool and alpaca makes this a wonderful accessory for a brisk morning. Actually, I could imagine cuddling up with this shawl as a blanket or pillow in the drowsy and chilly early morning hours.
Also, Cascade yarns is a great company that offers yarns of terrific value. They keep their prices moderate, but offer wonderful staple yarns that knitters with any budget or tastes can use and love.

Where I Bought the Yarn: Webs (yarn.com)

I must warn you that this website is fantastically addictive. Some people don't like buying yarn without being able to see and feel it, but buying yarn online really offers a new way to purchase yarn. With an unbelievable stock and variety of yarn, you can easily find whatever yarn you need (and plenty that you don't exactly need, per se). The worst part is that this website always has amazing sales and closeouts on all the discontinued yarns that they specifically buy to sell for cheap. I literally can't stop spending all of my "extra" money on this website. Also, It's always terribly exciting when you receive a box of yarn from Webs. Happy Birthday!

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment